Drinking and driving is a bad habit that everybody should avoid. Sadly, thousands of people are arrested and charged with impaired driving every year in Texas because they just don’t know when they’ve had too many drinks.

What is the Legal Limit in Texas?

Texas legal limit- 0.08 percent for motorist over 21

Under 21- 0.02 percent

Commercial drivers- 0.04 percent

If you are visibly impaired but haven’t reached the legal limit, you can still be charged with a DWI. In that case, USAttorneys.com recommends you speak with a DWI and criminal defense attorney in Corpus Christi.

How Does Alcohol Affect Me as a Driver?

Alcohol affects the body and the mind, often creating a sense of euphoria that helps us unwind after a stressful day. A drink or two can take the edge off in social situations and make you feel more relaxed. But drinking can be dangerous if the drinker gets behind the wheel.  Once you reach the legal limit and you are stopped, you will be charged with driving under the influence.

We’ll explain how alcohol will affect your ability to drive according to information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

With a 0.05 percent BAC, you will begin to feel relaxed, maybe a little buzzed and you’ll feel a little less inhibited. Your judgment will become impaired; you’re not as aware of your surroundings. Behind the wheel, you may find focusing your eyes difficult, steering is harder, and your reaction to an emergency may be significantly delayed.

At 0.08 percent BAC, you are not legal to drive in Corpus Christi. When you reach that limit, you will experience a lack of muscle coordination and won’t be able to keep your balance. Your speech, vision and hearing and concentration will be poor. You’ll have a false sense of safety and will be incapable of sensing danger. Consequently, you are more willing to take risks you wouldn’t normally take such as speeding or running a red light.

When you reach a 0.10 percent BAC, you are well over the legal limit and are severely impaired. Your impairment will be noticeable to others. Physically, your speech is slurred, you have poor coordination, and you’ll have difficulty focusing your eyes. If you are driving with this BAC, you will find it hard to maintain your lane and will brake sporadically.

By the time you reach a 0.15 percent BAC, your muscle control will be considerably impaired, incapable of processing visual and auditory information quickly enough not to be a danger. The NHTSA says at this stage, you will have “substantial impairment in vehicle control” and will be unable to pay attention to your driving.

How Many Drinks Before I Reach the Legal Limit in Texas?

That’s a question many ask, but there is no definitive answer because everyone processes alcohol differently. Men need more alcohol to reach the legal limit than women. How drunk each person gets depends on several factors including height and weight, tolerance, whether they’ve had enough to eat and the medications a person takes.

Some believe that you can have one drink per hour without reaching the legal limit, but that is not a hard-fast rule. (One drink means one mixed drink, a glass of wine or a beer.) The only way to tell if you are legal to drive is to have a personal breathalyzer you carry with you to the bar, but you’re probably not going to do that.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Control published a chart that will give you an idea of how many drinks you can have before you reach the legal limit.

Call a DWI Lawyer in Corpus Christi

You should never drive drunk. Never! But if you do and you are arrested, you need to contact a DWI lawyer in Corpus Christi. You can get their help with all stages of your DUI, from bailing out of jail to building a DWI defense.

Nueces County Jail

901 Leopard St.,

Corpus Christi, TX 78401



McKenzie Annex

745 N Padre Island Dr.,

Corpus Christi, TX 78406

Nueces County Inmate Locator: http://17.153.static.esc2.net/sheriff/jail.asp

Let USAttorneys connect you with a defense lawyer to discuss your DWI. If you are an immigrant and need advice about your DWI, we recommend you speak to an immigration lawyer.