That depends on your insurance company, but in an effort to speed up the process of having vehicles fixed or replaced, and ensuring you receive necessary medical treatment, all drivers should claim injuries and loss to their own insurance company.  If you are not insured as a passenger, you can request payment from the PIP coverage of the vehicle you were in.  If you are a pedestrian hit by a car, you can request payment from any covered vehicle involved in the accident.


Insurance companies in Florida are set up to handle claims regarding property damages and medical costs but can quickly reach their maximum payout.  This is where the professional expertise of a personal injury attorney may be helpful to assure you have the funds necessary to replace damaged property and are able to seek medical attention for injuries resulting from the accident. If your costs exceed all insurance coverage, suing the at-fault driver may be your only recourse. In this case, you will still have to pay bills, but can arrange with health care providers to possibly defer payment until your case is settled.  An attorney can assist with this process as well.

Florida Insurance Requirements.

Drivers are required to carry insurance coverage in the State of Florida with a minimum requirement of $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 in property damage liability (PDL).  If a person has been previously convicted of certain offenses or been involved in auto accidents, the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles can request that you purchase additional auto insurance including bodily injury liability coverage (BIL).   The Florida No-Fault Law required drivers to carry the PIP and this coverage pays the insured’s bills, regardless of fault, up to the $10,000 limit.

Access to Payments.

While you are waiting for a personal injury legal action to be settled, the medical bills can be covered through the no-fault portion of your insurance up to the limit.  If you carry individual health insurance, medical costs can be billed to your insurance company although they prefer the no-fault benefit is exhausted first.  Some insurance policies have a separate med-pay policy that covers the co-pay that PIP requires up to $2,000.  Keep track of these all of the expenses billed, to make sure the settlement covers any amounts that the insurances do not.

Hire a DUI Attorney.

If you suffered property damage, personal injury or loss of a loved one to a drunk driving accident, you should contact the Law Offices of Michael M. Raheb, an experienced attorney in Fort Myers Florida who can represent your claim for compensatory and punitive damages.  Compensation for any loss sustained because of the car accident, due to partial or full negligence of a drunk driver, is in your reach to assist in payment of the significant medical expenses, loss of wages, or other life-altering events that can negatively affect your livelihood, as well as wrongful death claims not covered by insurance companies.


The Law Offices of
Michael M. Raheb, P.A.
2423 First Street,
Fort Myers FL 33901
Office: 239-226-0888
Fax Number: 866-949-0888

DUI Lawyers