The criminal charges that are generally filed against a DUI offender who causes an accident in Texas can be extremely costly when a person is convicted of them. Just how much might an offender be looking at having to spend when convicted of such crime? While Politifact referenced a case involving a woman who had to pay around $17,000 after being convicted as a first-time DWI offender, the amount actually varies, and could even be higher depending on the circumstances surrounding the crime.
To give you a better idea as to what you might incur a charge for after having caused a drunk driving accident in McAllen, TX, below we have listed a few things that many DWI offenders often find themselves having to dish out money for.
- The cost associated with having your vehicle towed and recovering it. Many individuals who are charged with DWI have their vehicle impounded and are not only held responsible for paying for the towing of their vehicle, but also the cost associated with getting it back.
- Court costs.
- Fines for violating state law.
- Costs associated with probation. If the judge overseeing your case grants you probation, you need to understand that you will be required to pay a certain amount for it.
- Costs associated with being jailed.
- Getting your driving privileges reinstated when the time comes for you to do so. If you had your driving privileges suspended after being charged with causing a DWI accident, which most offenders do, there is a fee you will be required to pay to reinstate your license which will give you the right to drive again.
- Attending drug and alcohol education classes. Many individuals who are convicted of DWI are required to attend drug and alcohol counseling. These classes you must attend do carry a cost and one that you shall be responsible for satisfying.
As you can see, there are a number of fees you might incur both at the time of your arrest and after. But that isn’t all. What if the DUI accident you caused resulted in another person suffering an injury? What if your auto insurer isn’t willing to pick up the claim for the property damage you caused or the medical expenses that have accrued as the person you hit was required to undergo treatment and therapy? One medical procedure alone could cost anywhere from $3,000 to $4,000 but what if the victim had several procedures performed or they were hospitalized for a few days?
Guess who they might come after once they realize the insurer isn’t willing to pay for all these expenses? In most cases, you.
The reality is, DWI charges are expensive and if you don’t want to have to spend as much as others do for all the fines and fees, you are going to need to hire a lawyer in McAllen, TX who has a significant amount of experience with defending DWI offenders. If you are ready to connect with a legal expert now as you don’t want to waste any more time, you can contact the Tijerina Law Firm, PC.
The Tijerina Law Firm, PC is located at:
4016 N. 22ndStreet
McAllen, TX 78504