A Memphis man is facing a number of different charges after he caused a DUI accident on Austin Peay Highway on April 7th [Source: wreg.com]. Juan Lazo Lopez allegedly was traveling southbound into oncoming traffic when he hit another vehicle head-on. When a Shelby County Sheriff’s Deputy arrived on the scene, Lopez was seen sitting next to his vehicle. The officer claimed he had bloodshot eyes and smelled of alcohol. Shortly after the arrival of law enforcement officials, Lopez took off running. Officers then located an open can of Corona inside the vehicle, a bag of cocaine, and $1,400 in cash.
Officers eventually detained Lopez and he has been charged with the following:
- Possession of a controlled substance
- Aggravated assault
- Driving under the influence
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- No drivers license
- Violating the open container law
- Public intoxication
- Reckless driving
- Vehicular assault
- Aggravated assault
- Possession of cocaine with intent
As for the three occupants of the vehicle Lopez hit, they were rushed to the Regional Medical Center in critical condition.
As you can see, officials hit Lopez with some pretty serious charges that carry jail time, fines, fees, probation, etc. If he hasn’t hired a Memphis DUI lawyer yet, it would be in his best interest to retain one immediately as he is definitely going to need a lawyer working on his side and supporting him throughout the duration of this case.
Here are some of the penalties he is currently facing:
Vehicular Assault Penalties in Tennessee
- Class D Felony
- License Revocation from 1 to 5 years according to the number of prior offenses he has.
- Between 2 to 12 years in jail
- Fines and court costs
- No restricted driver’s license is available
First Time DUI Offender Penalties
- License revocation for one year
- Ordered to participate in an alcohol and drug treatment program.
- Pay restitution to any person suffering physical injury or personal loss.
- Pay a fine between $350-$1,500
- Spend anywhere between 48 hours to 11 months in jail.
- Have an ignition interlock device installed at his expense. The minimum first year costs for this could be $1,000 or more.
- Drug and Alcohol Treatment may be required at the judge’s expense.
Now, these are only some of the penalties Lopez is going to be faced with as he has been charged with 11 different crimes. Although it is going to be tough, he may stand a chance at getting some of these charges dropped and others reduced if he hires the right type of DUI lawyer who has the necessary experience and skill to get this accomplished.
As you see, the state of Tennessee punishes DUI offenders harshly and anyone facing a driving under the influence charge is going to need a DUI defense lawyer in Memphis to assist them with their case. If you live in the city of Memphis and have been arrested for DUI, contact USAttorneys.com today and we will pair you up with a local lawyer in your area who is capable and qualified to help you.