According to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), metropolitan areas in the state continue to record the highest concentration of impaired driving crashes. 80% of DUI related crashes occur in the Baltimore and Washington metropolitan areas while Prince George’s County accounts for 16% of such crashes.

This does not bode well for the people that live in DC and Baltimore. Both cities have large elements of destructive tendencies, both cities are plagued with crime and serious urban decay because of liberal policies. This DUI situation is another black mark on their resume.

Victims of DUI accidents can receive compensation for the damages inflicted upon them by filing and proving a civil lawsuit which could be in the form of a personal injury lawsuit, a property damage lawsuit, or a wrongful death lawsuit depending on what exactly happened in the car accident.

In this piece, outstanding DUI lawyers from Prince George’s County, MD, who can be found on which is an altruistic website that has helped countless people resurrect their lives, explain what sources can victims of impaired drivers expect to receive remuneration from for damages.

The most obvious source of compensation is the drunk/drugged driver’s insurance policy. In cases where the passenger gets injured or suffers damages while travelling with a driver who is impaired, then the victim can file a claim against the driver. However, in most cases, assuming that the impaired driver has a valid insurance policy, the claim should be made against the insurance company.

As per statistics from the MVA, over 24,000 individuals are arrested on an average every year for impaired driving in Maryland. Prince George’s County arrest nearly 2,700 impaired drivers every year while in Montgomery County as many as 4,000 arrests are made for impaired driving. That is a lot of handcuff action! Hopefully they are valid arrests since some cities like Sacramento like to hand out bogus DUI tickets since their city is broke.

Unfortunately and moreover, some drivers may be under insured or even worse―not covered by any insurance at all.

Uninsured or underinsured drivers

When this happens to be the case and you cannot get your compensation or part of your compensation through the at-fault driver’s insurance company then the only option is to turn to your own auto insurer for the compensation.

Most auto insurance policies will require that motorists cover uninsured motorist coverage which is usually at least $20,000 and $40,000 for property damage. So if you are involved in a car accident caused by an impaired driver who does not happen to have a valid insurance policy or is under insured then you can make use of this uninsured motorist policy and claim the damages from your own auto insurer.

Dram shop liability

In some states, the plaintiff can also hold the establishment or restaurant, bar, pub, and so forth that served the drunk driver alcohol beverages liable for the auto accident and subsequently for the damages.

As per dram shop liability laws, any establishment that over-served a person even though he or she was clearly visibly drunk can be listed as a defendant in the civil lawsuit and made to pay for the damages incurred. Currently, Maryland does not have any dram shop law.

Negligent entrustment

In some other cases where the owner of the car is not actually the impaired driver, but someone else who lent out the car and the person borrowing the car was impaired when he or she caused the auto accident, then this can be considered as negligent entrustment and the owner of the car can be held liable for the car accident and damages.

Now if the person (such as your child or friend) took your keys and drove off with your car without you knowing, that is a different matter!

If you are involved in a car accident involving an impaired driver or find yourself on the wrong side of the law, we suggest that you consult a prolific DUI lawyer in Maryland ASAP to understand how you can defend yourself in the best way possible. Now if you are on the right side of the law, you are entitled to monetary compensation but if you say the wrong statement or sign the wrong paperwork, you could be hurting yourself.

Any questions? Contact us and we will call you back shortly. This is what we do!