Police officers in Marion County, IN are constantly on the lookout for drivers who are drunk or under the influence of drugs. Many fatal accidents involve drivers who engage in such activity which is why they take initiative in trying to reduce the number of these accidents by being proactive and monitoring drivers. Holidays, big events, and certain times of the week are when police are out patrolling as these times are known to have many drivers out and about after having consumed one too many drinks.
Some of the signs an officer looks for when trying to identify a drunken driver include:
Drunk drivers often display negligent and careless behavior when driving which helps police identify them.
- Drifting- If you are drowsy from drinking or the lines on the roadway are blurry, it can cause a driver to drift or swerve.
- A driver is on the verge of colliding with another vehicle or even an immobile object.
- Slow response to traffic signals. A person who is under the influence often displays slower reaction times. So, when a light turns green, a drunk driver may not begin moving until a few seconds later than the average driver.
- Erratic breaking
- Making abrupt turns
- Headlights are off- An intoxicated motorist isn’t cognizant of all the things they should be doing, including putting on their headlights.
Have you recently been pulled over for OWI in Indianapolis, IN? Do you need a Marion County OWI attorney to represent you for your court case? Did you know that having a lawyer present and representing you can increase your chances of getting your charges reduced or only facing the minimum penalty for your infraction?
If you are looking for legal counsel, USAttorneys.com can connect you with highly skilled DUI attorneys in your city who are available to help you.
What symptoms do officers look for after pulling a potential drunk driver over?
While there are certain signs officers use as reasonable cause to pull a possible drunk driver over, there are also symptoms they are going to look for once they have the vehicle stopped. Some symptoms include:
- The motorist is unable to understand the office’s questions or comments.
- Slurred speech
- The driver has a flushed face.
- There is an odor of alcohol coming from the vehicle or the driver’s breath.
- The motorist is combative or argumentative. Many drunk drivers tend to get angry or want to get physical so it is a common symptom police officers look for in drivers they suspect are drunk.
- If the officer asks the driver to step out the vehicle and they stumble or use the car to lean on for support this can indicate the driver is intoxicated.
- They are unable to follow directions or commands.
- They are unsure of the time or place they are in.
Although it is a criminal offense to operate a vehicle with a BAC level of 0.08 or higher in the state of Indiana, people sometimes make mistakes or feel they have no other option but to engage in the act. If you or anyone you know is facing an OWI charge in Indianapolis, contact USAttorneys today so you can be on your way to obtaining the legal aid you need from a dedicated and aggressive OWI lawyer in Marion County now.