Every day, police officers in Boca Raton, FL pull vehicles over for various offenses including DUI. While some drivers have already had previous encounters with law enforcement officials for DUI and know what to do or say in this type of situation, the vast majority of individuals who are pulled over for DUI don’t. And that is why we are sharing with you some of the things you should consider doing in the event a police officer pulls you over and suspects you have been drinking.
After being pulled over for suspected DUI in Boca Raton, FL, some of the things you should consider doing include:
- Remain calm– As frightening and intimidating as it might be to see blue and red flashing lights appear in your rear-view mirror, the best thing for you to do is stay calm. Did you know that police officers will often use a driver’s behavior as one way to tell if he or she has been drinking? Some behavioral signs an officer might use to determine if a driver is intoxicated include:
- They display an extreme or sudden change in behavior.
- They are overly animated or entertaining.
- They lack focus and the ability to make eye contact. Someone who might be nervous may find it difficult to look an officer in his or her eye or may look away when answering questions which may come off to the officer as a sign of impairment.
[Source: Oregon Liquor Control Commission].
The fact is, before an officer requests that a driver submit to a field sobriety test or administers a breathalyzer test, he or she will use observations among other things as a basis to determine whether a motorist has been drinking. These observations can serve as probable cause to arrest a person for DUI. However, if you remain calm and avoid displaying any suspicious behavior, you could potentially leave without being charged with DUI.
- Remind yourself of your rights- Something else you will want to do after being pulled over for DUI is to remind yourself that you have rights. You have the right to remain silent and refuse to take part in a field sobriety test, and if you wish to refuse a breathalyzer test, you can do so as well. However, there are consequences you will face so if you choose to not obey officer requests, you need to be prepared to face the consequences your actions carry. For example, if you refuse a breath test, your driving privileges will be suspended for a period of one year given it is your first time refusing. Another right you have is to hire a Boca Raton, FL DUI attorney.
In the event the traffic stop leads to you being arrested for DUI in Boca Raton, FL, it is essential that you retain a qualified legal expert to represent you in your case. DUI charges aren’t to be taken lightly, especially if you evoked your right to refuse the breathalyzer test. And if you were involved in a drunk driving accident in Boca Raton, FLas a result of driving while impaired, you should contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey A. Rosenberg, PLLCto consult with a Boca Raton, FL drunk driving accident lawyer.
The Law Offices of Jeffrey A. Rosenberg, PLLC is located at:
5255 North Federal Highway 3rd Floor
Boca Raton, FL 33487