Kern County, CA- If you are pulled over for a DUI in Kern County, certain circumstances surrounding your arrest could turn your routine charge into an aggravated DUI. A routine DUI has plenty of troublesome penalties, but those consequences pale in comparison to the penalties associated with an aggravated DUI. You may be asking yourself: When can I be charged with an aggravated DUI? What are the penalties for an aggravated DUI?

In Kern County, you can be charged with an aggravated DUI for the following:

There was a minor under the age of 15 in your car at the time of your arrest.

Your blood alcohol concentration exceeds 0.015 percent or more.

You were traveling 20 miles over the speed limit on city streets or 30 miles over the speed limit on highways.

You have been charged with a second or subsequent DUI.

You were charged with a DUI in a road construction zone.

If any of the circumstances are relevant in your arrest, a conviction will result in longer jail times, higher fines and penalties and extended periods of license suspension. What’s more, you can count on very aggressive prosecution. That means you need expert legal counsel, and you should consider negotiating for a plea bargain.

A plea bargain is a deal you enter into which allows you to plead guilty to reduced charges that have lesser legal consequences. There is no guarantee the prosecution will offer you a plea bargain, which is why USAttorneys strongly recommends you speak with DUI defense attorney to negotiate on your behalf. They know what is a fair plea bargain and will do what they can to make certain you can live with the terms. But you should note that a plea bargain will count as a DUI charge if you are charged with a DUI within California’s 10-year lookback period.

If you are unable to secure a plea bargain, you need to reach out to a DUI lawyer in Kern County, California to begin working on your defense. That is because judges tend to impose the maximum penalties on individuals convicted of an aggravated DUI. You need someone on your team who knows how to argue your innocence. You can set up a consultation with a Kern County attorney and learn what steps you need to take next. You need a professional’s advice before you make any decision that will change your future, so let USAttorneys help you find an understanding and trustworthy lawyer to minimize the consequences of your aggravated DUI charge.